Sunday, October 6, 2013

Atonal phrasing

Hi

Last year I recorded a demonstration video for an equipment I dig and that I use for any recording session, the PI-101 Wall of Soung plug-in made by the cool people of Two Notes Audio Engineering.

In this video I decided to point out how I use this killer technology in my work. This was also an opportunity to deliberately experiment a few musical concepts I love in my music writing.

Today I'm sharing the first part of the guitar solo, beginning at 3:07 in the enclosed video.
My purpose is to display an example of atonal phrasing with some techniques such as transposed patterns and sweep picking.

bar 1: patterns transposed in major third and flat 5th.
bar 2: previous phrase transposed one minor third down.
bars 3 and 4: ascending blues pattern freely revolving around G diminished scale.
bar 5: small wacky part, mostly based on intention and rhythm.

From my humble point of view, atonal phrasing can NEVER work (for me) if any one of these ingredients is absent in the moment:
  • intention, 
  • conviction, 
  • control, 
  • technique, 
  • rhythm, 
  • fun,
  • subversion, 
  • harmony, 
  • knowledge, 
  • respect.
 Enjoy
J-F



No comments:

Post a Comment